Sunday 6 July 2014

Unwind with Sweet Georgia

Next up in the GVC (great Vendor Countdown) is SweetGeorgia Yarns. Sweet Georgia will be joining Unwind as a vendor so I asked Felicia, the founder, to answer a few questions and share some of her crafting experiences with us.

(c) Sweet Georgia
 Please introduce yourself and your business in 2-3 sentences.
SweetGeorgia Yarns is an artisan hand-dyed yarn company based in Vancouver, Canada that makes exquisite hand-dyed yarns and fibres in stunningly saturated colours. Founded in 2005 by Felicia Lo, a former pharmacist and graphic designer turned artisan and entrepreneur, our desire is to share our passionate, relentless, and unapologetic love of colour.

What treats can we look forward to seeing at your stand during Unwind?
We’ll be bringing a great selection of our yarns to Unwind, including our most popular sock yarn, Tough Love Sock, as well as some cashmere and silk blend laceweight yarns. The cover of the latest Pom Pom Magazine features a shawl with our yarns and we’ve prepared a few sets of Tough Love Sock and CashSilk Lace in some great colour combinations for the Baya shawl. We also have our UK-exclusive Soakboxes with our Merino Silk Fine yarn, a bottle of Soak wash, and a pattern by Boo Knits. And finally, we’ll be bringing lots of spinning fibre!

(c) Sweet Georgia

Where do you find some of your best colour inspiration when dyeing?
That’s a great question and actually one that I’ll be diving deep into during my “Colour Stories” lecture on Saturday afternoon at Unwind. Of course, one of my greatest inspirations is our lovely Pacific Northwest landscape. We live in a beautiful corner of the world with sea, sky, and mountains in view everyday. It’s too beautiful to ignore.

You teach a variety of classes, sharing skills with lots of crafters, what do you enjoy about teaching?
I really enjoy sharing my passion for handcraft and fibre arts with others. I believe that the skills that we need for spinning or knitting or dyeing aren’t rocket science. But truly what people need is more self-confidence and the permission to try things and make mistakes. I love seeing students come back and say that a whole
world of possibilities has opened up for them because of something I shared with them.

You are also an avid spinner, what are you working on right now?
We came up with the idea to run a “Summer of Socks” spin-along at SweetGeorgia. It’s going to be a spin (and/or knit)-along all about spinning sock yarn. The other spinners at our studio and I will all be blogging about different sock spinning tips and tricks throughout the summer. So right now, I’m planning what kind of socks I want to spin yarn for!

(c) Sweet Georgia 
What are you looking forward to the most about Unwind?
The people! There are many people that I’ve come to “know” through the internet since I started blogging in 2004 and I’m looking forward to finally meeting some of them in person at Unwind. And also the shopping! I’m a stash-building fiberholic (like many of us, I’m sure) and I’m excited to see what the market will bring. I love indulging in a bit of yarn tourism, always!

A big thank you to Felicia of SweetGeorgia Yarns for taking the time to share some insight into her knitting world. You can find SweetGeorgia’s website by visiting www.sweetgeorgiayarns.com. To keep up to date with all of the latest SweetGeorgia news, keep an eye on Twitter @HeySweetGeorgia, Instagram sweetgeorgia, Facebook (SweetGeorgia-Yarns) and the blog sweetgeorgiayarns.com/blog/.

No comments:

Post a Comment